Thursday, November 6, 2008

Kicking Moodle Up a Notch


I've been advocating for Moodle use for about 2 years now. I've done a good deal of entry level trainings, but now it is time to "kick it up a notch." I found William Rice's book, "Moodle Teaching Techniques" a few months ago, but only recently sat down to read it. He really provides great insight in utilizing the unique tools available to Moodle. Here are a few things I'm going to try next based on his recommendations:

Forums
  • Create seperate forums for groups
  • Create a "Best of" forum where you post student work that is exemplary
  • Use the forum rating system for peer reviews
  • Use the Admin>Logs to see posting log (to gauge participation)
  • Use People>Participants to see all posts by student
Lessons
  • Use flow control to have students progress through a lesson

Glossary
  • Have students create indepth profiles
  • Have students make review questions
I also have not used the "Choice Activity" before. He recommends using it to sign-up for group projects. What a great idea!

Hopefully, I'll get a chance to use these in practice soon. I'm looking for other hints on the web and will be bookmarking them in delicious. http://delicious.com/bethanyvsmith/moodle

No comments: