Sunday, June 29, 2008

Edubloggercon Social Networking & Professional Development

Technorati Tags:

I enjoyed the first session on Social Networking & Professional Development. Steve Hargadon did a great job of sharing what he has gone through with Edubloggers & Classroom 2.0 as well as Wes Fryer with K-12 Online. I'm glad they didn't just talk about the tools, but the opportunities of a community to come together. However, I wish they could have elaborated a bit more on how they keep a social network thriving? Do you just wait to reach critical mass? DO you have to constantly be the mentor? When can the community take over or will it just fizzle out.......

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Excellent questions. As I sit today creating a Ning to begin a social network with teachers at my school - that will hopefully grow to include our district and beyond - I have been asking myself the same questions.

I assume that it will take quite a bit of mentoring up front before it will take on a life of its own. We'll see.

I'll look forward to your future posts with answers. :)

Bethany Smith said...

Thanks Stephen, I really enjoyed Sheryl Nussbaum-Beach's discussion about reaching critical mass (apparently 120 is the magic number). So at least I have a goal to strive for!

Good Luck on your Ning!
-Bethany